Getting ready to hire a Accessibility Specialist?
The Accessibility Specialist is responsible for ensuring digital learning materials and online experiences meet accessibility standards and regulations.
We are seeking an Accessibility Specialist to lead accessibility development, analysis, documentation, and remediation of digital learning experiences. This person will be responsible for the oversight of accessibility validation as well as training staff and faculty involved in the development of digital materials, media, and technology. Our ideal candidate is an excellent communicator and well-versed in explaining and implementing accessibility and disability standards, regulations, and best practices including WCAG 2.0, Section 508, WAI-ARIA, UAAG and ATAG.
- Methodically assess and report on accessibility status of digital learning materials and technology-enabled learning experiences, including vendor resources
- Utilize the POUR principles of web accessibility (Perceivable, Operable, Understandable, and Robust) to produce, design, or assist in the development of ADA-compliant digital learning materials
- Develop technical remediation plans for improving the accessibility of digital learning
- Recommend disability-related accommodations or technology-driven solutions
- Manage bulk conversion of inaccessible material into accessible versions
- Create alternative materials for learners with disabilities
- Develop training materials and conduct workshops on accessibility guidelines as well as assist staff and/or faculty in accessibility conversion
Education & Certifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Instructional Technology, Instructional Design, Computer Science, Information Technology, or a field relevant to Technology access
- Advanced degree or certification in technology or education access preferred
- CPACC, WAS or other web accessibility certification(s) preferred
- Experience producing or assessing digital instructional materials that adhere to accessibility standards (WCAG 2.0, Sections 504 and 508 of the Rehabilitation Act, WAI-ARIA, UAAG, and ATAG)
- Experience with accessibility evaluation tools such as Chrome accessibility developer tools, ally, aXE, Inspect, WAI toolbar
- Experience teaching or training users (instructors, staff, students) on effective uses of technologies
- Experience with assistive technologies (eg, JAWS, NVDA, VoiceOver, ReadOutLourd, Zoomtext, MAGic, braille keyboards, embossers, textbook conversion, speech recognition, captioning, etc) and various accessibility tools
- Excellent project management and interpersonal and communication skills
Need to hire a Accessibility Specialist?
Reach out today for expert help finding the best candidates for your position.Contact Teamed