Purpose and Scope
The Professional Learning Advisor will meet two needs, providing teachers, school leaders, and content leads with a range of relevant professional learning opportunities, and providing teachers, school leaders, and content leads with practical planning and implementation resources and support to ensure integrity and effective curriculum implementation. Professional Learning Advisors will be experts in their content area and grade band, have extensive school level experience, and a deep understanding of the Tennessee Standards and aligned curriculum. While the focus of this role will be on Professional Learning, the Advisor will know and understand the structure and purpose of standards-aligned curriculum and be able to articulate conditions necessary for effective implementation and create Professional Learning and supports aligned to these conditions.
Essential Job Functions
Degree Equivalency Formula:
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Physical Requirements and Working Environment
Physical Demands: Requires sedentary work involving standing or walking for brief periods, exerting up to 10 pounds of force on a regular basis; and some dexterity in operating office equipment; must be able to use hands and fingers for sign language.
Unavoidable Hazards: The position is exposed to no unusual environmental hazards.
Sensory (ADA) Requirements: The position requires normal visual acuity and field of vision, hearing and speaking abilities.
Americans with disabilities Act Compliance
SCS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. SCS provides reasonable accommodations to qualified persons with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are encouraged to discuss ADA accommodations with management.
Additional Job Details
K-5 ELA Advisor (1)
High School ELA Advisor (1)
A Major, Urban School District on the
Cutting Edge of Closing the Achievement Gap
Memphis-Shelby County Schools is one of the 25 largest school districts in the nation located in a large city with a hometown feel, Memphis, TN. Here in the Bluff City, we are dedicated to preparing all students for success in learning, leadership, and life.
• Our promise is that by 2025, 80% of our students will be college & career ready, 90% will graduate high school, and 100% of graduates will enroll in post-secondary education.
• Our work is deeply rooted in the belief that every child is capable of learning and that education is the great equalizer. With 84% of all students considered economically disadvantaged, Memphis-Shelby County Schools truly is a place where progressive leaders in education can make a difference in the lives of our country’s most underserved children.
Though our challenges are significant, we are a district on the rise.
• Memphis-Shelby County Schools has been a level 5 growth district—the highest achievable level in TN--for the past three years.
• Memphis-Shelby County Schools has seen district-wide math proficiency scores double in the past three years.
• Memphis-Shelby County Schools I-Zone schools were once performing in the bottom 5% of TN, and are now making significant gains towards the goal of performing amongst the top 25% within five years.
We are a district committed to progressive strategies and practices that promote student achievement. We do this by ensuring that every classroom has an effective teacher and every school is operated by staff and leaders committed to excellence.